Stress affects each person differently but one thing is the same, constant high mental pressure is not healthy. Difficult times such as moving house, loss of employment, death and divorce are especially emotionally difficult times. While going through my own divorce I looked for a natural way to deal with the stress I was feeling during that period. A friend suggested meditation so I bought a meditation CD and have never looked back. Meditation is a natural way to slow down and relax. In the old days, meditation was viewed as something that hippies or alternative types did. However now days,it is being increasingly acknowledged in the medical field as an effective means by which to reduce stress. A few key points to remember when meditating are:
· The media image of sitting in a cross legged position with your eyes closed is only one way to meditate.
· Meditation can also be done lying down or even while walking.
· Let go of any preconceived ideas and open yourself up to try something new.
· Trying to stop your thoughts is impossible. It is similar to trying to put out the sun with a hose. You are not going to stop your flow of thoughts.
· Meditate in a place where you can sit or lie, close your eyes and not be interrupted.
· If you have a job where you are seated at a desk all day, walking might be a more suitable way for you to meditate. Obviously you will need your eyes open for this !
· Breathe in deeply through your nose and release your breath through your nose.
· Just breathe and focus on your breath.
· If you hear a noise, acknowledge it and let it go.
· If you have a thought, acknowledge it and let it go.
· Just observe everything and let it go.
· There is no right or wrong way to meditate.
· It is about stopping and giving yourself some time out from your thoughts.
· A quick 5 minute meditation is better than a 20 minute session where you are stressed trying to ‘meditate’.
· There are many meditation classes available to help you get started.
· I have personally found that a relaxation CD is a great way to sleep if you have insomnia.
So good luck and try meditation if you find yourself stressed. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
On another topic, many people have grown up in households where they never express their love or gratitude to their family members or friends. They love each other but never actually say it. Life is short and we all need to tell our friends and family members what we think of them. If saying it is too uncomfortable then we can write them a letter expressing how wonderful we think they are. Letters last forever and people can read them again and again. I am surrounded by amazing people who have gone through a lot in their lives and they have emerged stronger and wiser. Sometimes a letter expressing how much you love them and how you see their achievements in life is a great way to express your love. Tomorrow may be too late so take the time today and write a love letter to your friend or family member expressing how amazing you think they are.
Have a great week everyone and may your week be full of blessings.